Hi,
These may help;

Bower and Hayes (1998) Mothering in families with and without a
child with disabilities, International Journal of Disability,
Development and Education, 45 (3), 313-322

Found overall experiences characterised by similarities rather
than differences.

Kearney and Griffin, (2001) Between sorrow and joy; being a
parent of a child with developmental disability, Journal of
Advanced Nursing, 34 (5), 582-592

Again found problems (ie sorrow) were external to the family.

Landsman, G (1998) Reconstructing motherhood in the age
of "perfect" babies, Signs, 28 (1)

Discusses how mothers redefine and challenge their values and
priorities and reflects on implications for prenatal testing.

Patching, B and Watson, B (1993) Living with children with an
ID; parents construct their reality, International Journal of
Disability, Development and Education, 40 (2), 115-131

Found notion of 'disabled families' inappropriate as
similarities with mainstream families.

Grant and Ramcharan also do a good literature review
highlighting studies that avoid deficit models but I havent got
the ref to hand. It is 2001 if that's any help. Let me know if
you want me to get the complete reference.

Sara

> Hello All,
>
> I am doing yet more writing on issues of prenatal testing,
this time
> explicitly discussing issues of parenthood, parent-child
relationships, and
> family life.  One of the texts on which I rely for discussions
of family
> life, showing that families including children with
disabilities fare about
> as well as families with only nondisabled children, is an
article by Philip
> Ferguson printed in the book _Prenatal Testing and Disability
Rights_.  Is
> there other recent work discussing family life and disability
by persons
> other than Phil Ferguson, so that I can broaden and vary
citations --
> especially when critics insist that this happy story can't be
true?

> A second, related question concerns specifically the lives of
families and
> children with significant, multiple impairments of both
physical and
> cognitive/emotional nature.  I would like to read and cite
more rich
> qualitative or good quantitative studies of family life for
this portion of
> the disability population, not because I want to support
impairment
> classifications, but because I am writing for people who do
not believe the
> social model and who do need "data" they can be forced to
contend with.

> Please send all suggestions to me and if you would like to
discuss this
> topic with me on or off list, I would be grateful.
>
> Sincerely,
> Adrienne
>
> Adrienne Asch
>
> Adrienne Asch

> Archives and tools for the Disability-Research Discussion List
> are now located at:
>
> www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html
>
> You can JOIN or LEAVE the list from this web page.

are now located at: