Colleagues may be interested in the following seminar.  Please contact the Tourism Society for further details / booking.

Best
Ian

Dr Ian Baxter
Lecturer in Heritage/Tourism (Division of Management)
& Associate Director - Caledonian Heritage>Futures Network
@ Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, G4 0BA. UK.
http://www.heritagefutures.net
http://cbs.gcal.ac.uk/content/man/

ICOMOS-UK in collaboration with
THE TOURISM SOCIETY

Soul in the City:
Cultural Tourism and Urban Spaces

One day Seminar and Open Debate
to be held at
The Gallery, 70 Cowcross Street, London EC1M 6EL
16th March 2004
Seminar:                10.00 - 4.30 pm
Open Discussion 4.30 -6.00 pm

The 'spaces in-between' within towns and cities contribute to the overall character and vitality of urban settings: hidden corners, large squares, parks and gardens are hugely significant in shaping people's perceptions of a place.

Many tourists decide to visit towns and cities simply because they are pleasant places for walks; many enjoy exploring streets, squares and public parks as much as visiting formal attractions. Yet until recently the public realm - owned simultaneously by 'everyone and no-one' - has been a neglected area of interest and debate.

Undeniably, attractive open spaces appeal to tourists and residents alike. There are many issues to explore. What cultural, economic and social benefits are to be gained when we take seriously the spaces in-between as visitor attractions in their own right? How do we accommodate the interests of organisations representing tourists and those conserving and promoting towns and cities? How do we involve the whole community?  Above all, can we, or should we, conserve the 'soul of the city'?

Seminar Fee:
ICOMOS/Tourism Society Members  £40
Non-Members  £60
Students for Open Debate only  £5
Contact: The Tourism Society, 1 Queen Victoria Terrace, Sovereign Court, London E1W 3HA
Tel: 020 7488 2789 Fax: 020 7488 9148
Email: [log in to unmask]
Website: www.tourismsociety.org

DRAFT PROGRAMME
10.00-10.30             Arrival and Coffee
Morning Session:        Exploring the Benefits of Cultural Heritage Urban Spaces for Visitors and Local People, Chair Graham Wason, FTS, Chairman, The Tourism Society
10.30 - 10.50           The Cultural Benefits:  Liverpool - European Capital of Culture 2008
Richard Tibbott, Locum Destination Consulting
10.50 -11.10    The Economic Benefits of Open Spaces: Julia Thrift, Director CABE Space
11.10-11.30             The Social Benefits: Brian Human FTS, Chair, Tourism Working
 Group, English Historic Towns Forum,
11.30-11.50     Let's Walk - A Tour Operator's Perspective: Ray Jones MTS, Brand Development Director, Superbreak
11.50-12.10     Branding Cities: Seren Welch, Head of Brand and Product Marketing at VisitBritain
12.10-1.00              Discussion
1.00- 2.00              Lunch
Afternoon Session:      Creative Spaces - Planners, Designers and the Public: Case studies where theory is being put into practice, Chair Sue Millar, Chair of ICOMOS-UK Cultural Tourism Committee
2.00 -2.20      Shrewsbury: Changing Spaces in a Heritage Town: Alison Patrick, Tourism Marketing Officer, Shrewsbury
2.20 -2.40      Bradford: Re-designing the Heart of an Industrial City: David West, Director of BIG Alsop Architects
2.40-3.00       The Thames landscape - London's Arcadia: Kim Wilkie, Kim Wilkie Associates, Landscape Architects
3.00-3.20       Under the Clock: What we Expect from Urban Spaces and Places: Professor Brian Goodey, Emeritus Professor of Urban Landscape Design, Oxford Brookes University/ Consultant
3.20-4.00       Discussion
4.00-4.30               Tea
4.30-6.00       OPEN DEBATE: TOURISTS vs LOCALS: YOUR SPACE OR MINE?
Chaired by Dickon Robinson, Chair of CABE Space
Introduction: Sue Millar, Chair ICOMOS-UK Cultural Tourism Committee

Seminar Fee:            Members  £40