I second Kenneth Gross's point that it is in translation that the
"nature" of English (whatever it is) is tested and discovered in this
period, but perhaps the most systematic work on translation was done by
Bible translators.  Tyndale, for instance, had much to say about the
qualities of English, Latin, Greek, and Hebrew, especially in relation to
each other.  One of his notable comments was that it was easier to
translate Hebrew into English than into Latin, because of the relative
affinities of these languages.  Since we are in the mode of recommending
reading, I'll put in a plug for Brian Cummings, _Grammar and Grace_,
which offers a fascinating new perspective on the literary culture of the
English Reformation by approaching it through fine points of grammar, as
they are worked out by the Bible translators.  As he notes, not only is
it in the process of translation that the translators discover the
peculiar characteristics of English, but the language itself is
transformed by the process.  To what extent was "English" the same
language pre- and post-Reformation?

Hannibal Hamlin

==============Original message text===============