I woke up this morning drafting in my head a message for this list that
would compare Spenser and Tolkein and discuss fantasy.  However, when I
turned on my computer, most had done it for me.  But I want to add that --
the Kalamazoo Medieval Congress held several sessions on Tolkein last
year; a course in Tolkein, taught by a medievalist, is offered at a nearby
university; and -- my first exposure to "THe Lord of the Rings" was as a
grad. student assisting Constance B. Hieatt in a Children's
Lit. course.  She gave wonderful lectures, bringing out her knowledge of
Anglo-Saxon and Old Norse literature.  She also gave a superb lecture on
Celtic fairylore -- a lecture that compelled me to spend a great deal of
time, then, through the years, and now, exploring the lore of
fairies.  When I saw "Lord of the Rings," no. 3, I thought to myself,
"Yes, that is what elves looked like."  How strange!
But I believe that fantasy is a genre that can have many layers of
meanings, allegory, etc., as does "THE FQ."  Has anyone written on Tolkein
and Spenser?