Hello,
I've been following this discussion with fascination. I
teach both Spenser and Tolkien (although not together
yet), and find that students tend to come to Tolkien with
diminished expectations and leave surprised by what
they've found. This may change as I begin to get fans of
the movies, but up until now I've taught English majors
and honours who've already developed a contempt for
popular literature. Cultural studies courses often seem to
give students tools for the study of popular literature
without giving them any chance for considering that
literature in more traditional ways or asking whether any
of it holds up to closer examination.

One question I have relates to the argument of Tom
Shippey's latest book on Tolkien (which has a good section
on scholarly animosity to Tolkien's works). Shippey looks
in detail at Tolkien's treatment of themes like good and
evil. I think classical virtues like friendship and
courage, and Christian ones like mercy can be added to the
list. How much are we prepared to see and think about such
themes in Spenser, but find them quaint or odd in a modern
writer who doesn't adopt typical modern irony or
scepticism?

What my students found is that Tolkien's apparent
simplicity on many issues gives way to complexity on
further study. His treatment of race is a good example.
The good race / bad race dichotomy is surely complicated
by having every bad race descend from a good one--orcs are
elves corrupted. The wizards are equivalent to angels and
just as capable of falling, as we see in Saruman. The
fellowship itself is created out of multiple races each
displaying their own prejudices which threaten the quest.

What Tolkien shares most strikingly with Spenser is the
generous spirit which can imagine a hero tested to the
breaking point, who fails, but who nevertheless triumphs
through grace.

Christine

Dr. Christine Cornell
Department of English