-----Original Message-----
From: Sidney-Spenser Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2004 11:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: lxxv

I didn't mean to suggest that the irrelevance of _differance_ to Spenser's
aesthetics was a problem at all; except for people who claim the relevance
of _differance_ to Spenser's aesthetics.

J.D. Fleming

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 13:05:43 -0500 [log in to unmask] wrote:
>        --But the problem with "anticipated-but-deferred wholeness"
> (_differance_) is that it is inconsistent with Spenser's aesthetic
> Neoplatonism.--
>
> Yes, that's the problem.  But it isn't just our problem, it was Spenser's,
> too, and he has an amazing facility for allowing such problems to play
> unresolved in his verse.  Whatever beliefs Spenser held, he seems to have
> held them differently, or with a difference, when writing.  For a poet who
> manages at times to sound defensive, he wrote remarkably undefended
poetry,
> so permeable to contradiction that when (since you spoke of the
> Epithalamion) he gives us a portrait of his bride, he compares her effect
> on the beholder to Medusa's.
>

>   _____
>
> David Lee Miller
>
> Department of English               543 Boonesboro Ave
> University of Kentucky                     Lexington, KY 40508
> Lexington, KY 40506-0027     (859) 252-3680
> (859) 257-6965
> FAX  323-1072

Dr. James Dougal Fleming,
Assistant Professor of English,