My apologies if this is a duplication, but we've been suffering from various email plagues, and I'm not sure my original went out.

I second Kenneth Gross's point that it is in translation that the "nature" of English is worked out, but I would add that no area of translation had greater cultural impact than that of the Bible.  Tyndale, for instance, who got the ball rolling, commented on the fundamental differences between English, Hebrew, Greek, and Latin, noting in particular the greater affinity between Hebrew and English than Hebrew and Latin.  On the matter of recommended reading, let me put forward Brian Cummings's The Literary Culture of the Reformation: Grammar and Grace, which makes a fascinating case for the role of grammatical issues (worked out ad hoc in the process of biblical translation by Tyndale and others, partly contra More and others) in the development of sixteenth-century language and literature.  We should probably take a historical approach to the question of "what English was good for," since it seems the language may have been a quite different one pre- and post-reformation (or before and after the main run of English Bibles, Tyndale to KJV).

Hannibal Hamlin

Hannibal Hamlin
Assistant Professor of English
The Ohio State University