On Thursday, February 19, 2004, at 07:06 PM, Sibylle Moser wrote:

> So far, I have tried a trialversion of HyperReseach. My major concern,
> beside the poor
> facilities for the development of category hierachies and the price:
> will I be able, for
> example, to exchange my analysis (or at least my categories) with
> collegues who work
> on other programs such as WinMAX?

Unfortunately, HyperRESEARCH doesn't really offer much support for
working with colleagues who are using other CAQDAS applications -- but
then I don't think many CAQDAS packages do.

With the Export Matrix command (introduced in HyperRESEARCH version 2.5
-- we're now up to version 2.6), HyperRESEARCH is able to tabulate your
codes and code frequencies for export for quantitative analysis.

You can also export reports as text files (likewise with your master
code list), if that would help.

As for code hierarchies:

HyperRESEARCH was designed with a more freeform coding structure than
most commercial CAQDAS software.

While this means that HyperRESEARCH doesn't support hierarchical coding
structures in the same way that NVivo and Atlas and others do, it
doesn't mean you can't assign a hierarchy to the codes...

There are two ways to create code hierarchies in HyperRESEARCH.

One is by careful wording and application of your code names. Here's an
example:

Self Esteem
^

Body Image
^

Body Image Positive
Body Image Neutral
Body Image Negative

With this set of parent and child codes, whenever you apply "Body Image
Positive" to source material, you would also apply "Body Image" and
"Self Esteem."

This way you can work with a subset of codes that include only those
related to Self Esteem. To do this, choose Self Esteem and all its
child codes, however deep, with the "Select Codes by Name" command. (If
you name them Self Esteem - Body Image etc., they'll appear together on
your code list for easier selection.)

For common code groupings (your hierarchies), you can actually save the
"select codes by" settings by creating a report while the desired
settings are in place and saving those settings. To re-create the query
you'd need only open the report settings, which would re-set the code
and case selections to what you had when you first chose the Self
Esteem code and all its children.

The other way to create code hierarchies is to use the Code Map to
visually represent your hierarchies. You can then use the Select and
Apply commands in the Code Map to select all those codes within 1 or 2
or however many links from the Self Esteem code on the code map.

And, as always, ResearchWare is open to suggestions for future features
for HyperRESEARCH. We are continually developing the software for both
Macintosh and Windows. Feel free to email me at the address below.

Best regards,

Ann Dupuis
ResearchWare, Inc.
http://www.researchware.com