Message

Peter Robinson was unable to post this reponse to my earlier question

Ricky

I think this is possible with the latest Webtrend software, you can

look at top visitors and paths ( and search on domains ) and there is

also the ability to set cookies to make this data more reliable and

map repeat visits.

I'm investigating this at the moment and I'd be interested in any

institution who has done any kind of experimental survey work, paper

or via web logs of who uses what on portals to get in touch with me.

regards

Pete Robinson

Quote from the Webtrends online helpcard ( you can explore this via

anysite that allows you anonymous access to their webtrends online

application

Webtrends

Top Visitors - Help Card

Hits - Number of hits attributed to the specified visitor.

Each file requested by a visitor registers as a hit. There can be

several hits on each page. While the volume of hits reflects the

amount of server traffic, it is not an accurate reflection of the

number of pages viewed.

Visitor - The IP address, domain name, or cookie of the visitor. Visits - Number of times the specified visitor visited your site. A

visit is a series of actions that begins when a visitor views their

first page from the server, and ends when the visitor leaves the site

or remains idle beyond the idle-time limit. The default idle-time

limit is thirty minutes. This time limit can be changed by the system

administrator.

% - Percentage of total visits or hits made by the specified visitor.

--

Consider the visitors who use the site most, and tailor your

site to their interests and needs. If your site is an intranet,

notice which employees use the site most, and find out what they like

about it. You might also get feedback from those who use it the least

and find out what they are looking for.

Note: If a visitor has a dynamic IP address, or if a group of

visitors are behind a proxy server or firewall, this data might be

misleading. In the case of a dynamic IP address, multiple IP

addresses could be shown for a single visitor, and in the case of a

firewall or proxy server, one IP address could be used by more than

one visitor.

--

-------------------------------------

Peter Robinson