Dear learned ones

I am looking for literature/prime sources concerning lay perception of
monasticism and/or religious fervour in the central middle ages. In short, I am
of the impression, that lay views on monks would have swung between feelings of
contempt on the one side and admiration on the other, and that lay people would
have taken stances on hypocrisy as well as imitation, when discussing monks and
other religious ‘athletes’. However, I have found it (not surprisingly, I
guess) very difficult to find literature and/or primary sources to this end. I
have been reading Ludo Milis’ book "Angelic Monks and Earthly Men", however, I
didn’t find it as revealing as I hoped for. (BTW, any comments on this work
will be appreciated). Thus, I turn to you: Does any of you know of criticism of
monasticism in the central middle ages, besides the more well-known ‘internal’
polemics between different groups of religious athletes themselves?

Best wishes
Torben K. Nielsen, Aalborg University

Torben K. Nielsen, Ph.D.
Head of Studies