John Briggs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Well, no.  Bach's Passions derive directly from the mediaeval recitations of
the Passion story during the Masses of Holy Week, rather than from the Passion
Plays.

thanks, John.

being Thespianately Challenged, this is not a distinction i would have thought
to make.

> Bach's 'performance practice' is somewhat controversial, but the latest
thinking is that there was one voice to a part, with the soloists forming
the chorus (the St Matthew Passion has a double chorus).

yes, i had the opportunity to see a very nice performance of the St. John here
in Bloomington (Indiana) winter before last.

and that set me wondering --not for the first time-- whether there might have
been any "acting out" by the singers in the Authentic Performances.

making it a kind of opera, i suppose.

>Only the Evangelist is really identified with the part as a character, the
other performers generally have multiple roles as well as the soloists singing
the arias not 'in character'.

?

i don't recall that, in the performance i saw, but it would certainly make
sense, from an "economical" point of view.

best from here,

christopher

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]