medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Does anyone on the list know anything about the following as an old German custom? Supposedly from the 1600 - 1700 time period. Any comments would be appreciated.  Ann Ball

It was a custom from Germany to "tye the knot"   (Like in Latin America we use a Lasso or a double rosary and the Padrinos place it over the couple's head on to the shoulders.)  But what I read was that In Germany the custom was to tie the arm of the groom with the arm of the bride with a white ribbon  to symbolize their union, and this was done by the sponsors.  Later on, the couple would take the ribbon home as a keepsake and as a tradition they would tie a knot everytime they had a problem, sort of like a reminder that they had a problem and it needed to be solved. When the couple would solve the problem they would untie the knot. This was a tradition in Germany and not neceserely a catholic tradition , its was just a tradition.