Yes, indeed. Kentigerna/Quentigerna, reputed to be the daughter of the
Irish prince Cellach, a completely different person from St Mungo. St
Fillan's staff also survives. Apparently it was actually brought to Canada
in the 19C by the family entrusted with the hereditary task of guarding
it.

			Cheers,
			Martin

Dr Martin Howley, Humanities Librarian,             Tel: (709) 737-8514
QE II Library, Memorial Univ of Newfoundland        FAX: (709) 737-2153
St John's, NL, Canada A1B 3Y1                     E-mail:[log in to unmask]

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, [iso-8859-1] Pat McIntosh-Spinnler wrote:

> >Fillan (d. c. 750)  According to legend, Fillan was
> >>an Irishman, a son
> >of
> >St. Kentigern.  He became a missionary in the area
>        around St. Fillans
> >(near
> >Crieff, Scotland).
>
> Something wrong here, surely? St Kentigern aka Mungo
> was a Briton not an Irishman (or even a Scot) and died
> in about AD 612. He isn't known to have been in
> Ireland, though he cd have met Irish women on his
> travels around Brythonic Britain.
>
> Or are we talking about the female St Kentigern who
> lived on Loch Lomond?
>
> Oh, yes, and I think it's St Fillan's Bell which still
> exists somewhere: the classic early-medieval bell,
> rectangular in form, which produces at least three
> different tones from different walls of the rectangle.
>
> Pat

> BT Yahoo! Broadband - Free modem offer, sign up online today and save £80 http://btyahoo.yahoo.co.uk

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]