Edmund Campion.
Tom Izbicki

medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
culture

St. John Fisher, officially canonized in 1935.  Dedicatee of numerous
Roman
Catholic churches and schools in English-speaking countries.
Celebrated on
22 June.  Don't know about literature on the cult, though.

Best,
John Dillon

At 11:47 AM 2/5/2004 -0500, Meg wrote:
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
culture

>I, too, have a student writing a paper, who is trying to identify a
good
>martyr to the Reformation ("one of those guys who hid in the priest
holes
>that they show you on tours of English manors" - well, at least she's
been
>to England!) Seriously, does anyone know of catholic victims of
Reformation
>violence who
>1) are officially canonized, and
>2) are the object of a cult about which some scholarly research
exists?
>I emphasize the cult: there has to be at least an altar, perhaps
canonization
>proceedings (available in English), pilgrimage would be great . . .
>actually even someone who was not canonized might be acceptable, if
there is
>a significant amount written about him/her. The point is for the
student to
>come to grips with some scholarly literature.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]