Brian,

Based on the photographic evidence and the 1842 plan (any chance of a
getting scan of the plan to look at?), I'd be happy with this boiler
being part of a early heating system of sorts (though I'm not sure how
effective it would have been). I've had a look through some of my text
books, and the design of this boiler is not consistent with any steam
generating design I'm aware of - From early 'haystack' to multi-tube
designs.

Jason Lucas.

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 23:50, Brian Durham wrote:
> Peter - Thanks for this, and hold everything chaps, two developments.
>
> OA have produced a plan of 1842 that shows a boiler in pretty much the
> right location with ?? water pipes going through the wall behind the
> boiler into a chamber that appears to be producing heated air
> distributed to each prison cell on four floors of the wing.  How could
> we have overlooked this? Unless things change substantially that's
what
> the boiler was doing.
>
> Without seeing the photos, Rob Kinchin Smith suggested it was a `wagon
> top boiler', but tells me that the top is not in fact the right shape,
> and would have needed a reservoir for steam.  As I understand it he is
> thinking it has to be a water boiler therefore, and is saying that
some
> support for the later date would be if the bolts are hexagonal as
> opposed to square.
>
> If you don't hear from me for a week or so, someone feel free to
remind
> me and I'll update the list.  Thanks to all. - Brian
<SNIP>