Dear colleagues and friends,

I would like to let you know about the next seminar in the 'Producing'
social divisions: Researching Ethnicity, Gender, Class and
Work' seminar series of the Working Lives Research Institute, London
Metropolitan University.

11th February 2004 at 4.30 pm
Prof. Mirjana Morokvasic,  CNRS and Université de Paris X will present
"Being your own Boss" - her documentary film and will talk about
Self-Employed Filippina Migrants in Tokyo

"Being your own Boss" is a documentary which I did in 2001 during my
stay in Tokyo,where I taught for 6 months at Ochanomizu University. I
wanted  to show another side of the migration experience of the
Filipinas, usually stigmatized as entertainers or as Japanese
housewives. As soon as they can, they tend to leave entertainement and
housewifery to work in factories or they go into self-employment and
business, sometimes creating jobs for their Japanese husbands. The film
is based on nine interviews with  Filipinas who run different kind of
"businesses". It is 56 minutes long.

Refreshments will be provided.

!Please note that this term the seminars take place in a different
building and room!:
Old Board Room Rocket Building London Metropolitan University, 166-220
Holloway Road, London N7 8DB

(For directions, please see:
http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/Demo_Shado/library/x34005_9.gif or
http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/about/how-to-find-us.cfm )