Hi John,
Thank you for the prompt response to the  format of the national Workshop and tutorials on Hand held computers in Universities and colleges.

I am aware of the research you mention on M-LEARNINGand ultralab.

I was researching the subject myself in the Asia & Pacific Rim when I whent to speak at the Multimedia 2000 conference as part of Broadcast Asia Expo.

I was looking at mobile phones for FE students that were pay as you learn around free issue lectures with a variety of Communications companies.

Is the Sony mobile computer you are giving to delegates doing the same ?
which model is it and does the software manage the learning for individual learning accounts?

It does sound that the advisory direction of the workshop is a good model, but after workshop support may be needed to set up working systems for a variety of VLE formats.

I was also interested in you final remark that "we are pretty much on top of trends across much of the developed world".

As a side area I am involved with the World Summit Awards that looks at the Information Society efforts(see http://www.wsa.org).Could http://www.wsa.org )  the mobiles we are giving away second hand also deal with facilitating learning to society at large?There could be an opportunity here...

Anyway I shal spread the word of the workshop and see if a group can attend.
regards
Nick di Maggio
Richmond Upon Thames college

---- Message from mailto:<[log in to unmask] John Traxler <[log in to unmask]> at 2004-02-03 17:29:20 ------Hi There, The workshop is based on a very successful format used last year and sponsored by ICS-LTSN. I guess I'm ultimately responsible so perhaps I can answer specific questions if you'd like to fire away. The speakers so far are all well known for research and development in mobile learning and have run a variety of pilots and trials with PDAs (and SMS, smartphones etc). We're all working on a book (probably entitled "Mobile Learning in Universities and Colleges" ) and are also connected in various ways with MLEARN, m-learning and Mobilearn.
In terms of the balance between research, policy and practice, I'm hoping the programme will inform reflexive practice and provide the kind of experience and discussion that will enable delegates to change their own practice and also to contribute to debate within their departments and institutions on policy and direction. Rather than going for a case-studies approach, this time I'm asking people to contribute to specific issues, but we're probably pretty much on top of trends across much of the developed world
Regards,

John Traxler

Learning and Teaching Research Fellow
Centre for Learning and Teaching
University of Wolverhampton
01902 323537/321696
077349 02363

National Workshop and Tutorial on Handheld Computers in Universities and Colleges
June 11 2004 -------- http://www.e-innovationcentre.co.uk/ http://www.e-innovationcentre.co.uk