Dear Members,

I would highly appreciate it if anyone would give me an
explanation or answer on my question. I want to know what is
an appropriate term (s) to explain following
philosophy/concept .

I think, a slogan, “Nothing about us without us”, clearly
shows the basic philosophy of disability movement in western
society, i.e., “we (disabled people) are the one who really
experience/fight/suffer disability, hence we (disabled people)
are the subject/actor/decision maker on this issue, not anyone
else (e.g., doctors, etc.)”
I.e., make "being disabled people (having experience of
disability)" absolute qualification (prerequisite) to be an
actor/decision maker on disability issue.

In Japanese disability studies, such concept is explained by
one word “toujisya” or by two words “toujisya syutai”. Then, I
was wondering if this concept can be explained by one or two
terms in English.

(“Toujisya” means “party involved / party interested / privy”,
and “syutai” means actor / subject. I.e., when you say
“toujisya syutai”, above concept is already explained.)

The reason I asked this is that “Toujisya” is a buzzword in
Japanese disability studies. Without this word, disability
cannot be discussed in Japanese. Even the latest book on
disability studies, which written by Mr. Nakanishi, Chair of
DPI Japan and leading gender scholar, Ms. Ueno, also titled
“toujisya syuken”. (syuken means sovereignty). However, I
cannot find the appropriate word to translate this "toujisya"
into one or few words in English, then I always “explain” by a
sentence, like above.

I could not find such term (s)/expression in English books of
disability studies, but was thinking there may be one to
explain this concept, e.g., "involved-actor principle"?

Thank you for your help in advance!
Cheers

kenji kuno

are now located at: