Dear Kuno-san and all,

> stakeholder. But in Japanese disability studies, it is usually
> used to refer disabled people only, and not include other

In disability context, I normally take "tojisha" to simply mean
disabled people.   In other context, for instance, of cancer,
a person with a cancer is "tojisha".  Perhaps most
literally it refers to people are most directly affected or
involved and does not have an easy equivalent in other
languages including English.

In Japanese disability context, it
serves both as an expression of agency and as an euphemism
of disabled people.  The book by Nakanish and Ueno
refers to disabled people, women, children, seniors, patients
etc. all as "tojisha".

More plainly, "tojisha" in a traffic accident, both the driver, who
knocked over a pedestrian, and the victim (pedestrian) are
"tojisha" in Japanese.    Of course, Kuno-san knows all of
this, in fact, without which it is not easy to find an English equivalent.

Many people do use this term but you can live without this term.
At least I do.

Best.

Nagase

are now located at: