Dear Bernadette,

There is a good literature on interviewing people with learning / cognitive
/ intellectual disability.

I've attached below some ideas, though mainly focusing on 'learning
disability' in the context of 'intellectual disability' / 'mental
retardation'.

Also, are you a member of the Australasian Society for the Study of
Intellectual Disability (ASSID) ?  - Last year, the New Zealand society
merged with the Australian Society to share resources such as the 'Journal
of Intellectual & Developmental Disability' and the magazine, 'Intellectual
Disability Australasia'.  There are quite a lot of NZ members.  The new
combined association will also be collaborating on an Australasian
Conference in NZ (October 2005?).  Check te web site: www.assid.org.au

Regards,

Keith