All of a sudden there are people giving IV boluses of 300mg of Amiodarone. The last time I saw this done was in almost exactly the same situation as the case we were discussing LVF (fairly bad but improving on nitrates with AF with a rapid ventricular response). I set up 300Mg of amiodarone to go in over 30 Minutes and a medical SpR came in and bolused it (while I was out of resus)saying he always did that and it never does any harm. Cue blood pressure crash and copious vomiting. The person did however cardiovert but why precipitate a crisis unnecessarily?

Some re-education on chain of command followed along with a late realisation that like all cardiac drugs amiodarone is not entirely benign.

Grrr

Infusions are OK, don't get macho.

Phil Munro
A&E
Glasgow

All email and attachments sent from http://www.Doctors.net.uk have been
scanned by the MessageLabs SkyScan antivirus system