I'd have thought that reference to "the womb that had them bore" in this context is simply a provocation to filial piety, not too different in spirit from 'Swear on your mother's grave!'

And the bare breasts? I thought first of Charissa, but on reflection this seems to be simply an iconographical indication of a woman in distress - that is, she has torn her clothes (in the manner of a professional mourner) to expose her breast, but it's the tearing rather than the breast per se that is important.

Charlie

> Message date : Feb 07 2004, 07:20 PM
> From : "Martin Leigh Harrison" <[log in to unmask]>
> To : [log in to unmask]
> Copy to :
> Subject : Re: How many mothers had Medina and her sisters?
> I'm supposing here that Medina's referring to the knights and so forth when
> she mentions "the womb that had them bore" for various reasons, one of
> which is that, as you say, Medina and her sisters have different mothers!
> But do the knights have the same mother? Well...in a /sense/...they do (and
> so does everybody else). Perhaps?
>
> I'll admit it's a stretch, but FQ III.vi.35-37 gives us another sort of
> womb in its discussion of the Gardin of Adonis:
>
> Infinite shapes of creatures there are bred,
> And vncouth formes, which none yet euer knew,
> And euery sort is in a sundry bed
> Set by it selfe, and ranckt in comely rew:
> Some fit for reasonable soules t'indew,
> Some made for beasts, some made for birds to weare,
> And all the fruitfull spawne of fishes hew
> That seem'd the Ocean could not containe them there.
>
> Daily threy grow, and daily forth are sent
> Into the world, it to replenish more;
> Yet is the stocke not lessened, nor spent,
> But still remaines in euerlasting store,
> As it at first created was of yore.
> For in the wide wombe of the world there lyes,
> In hatefull darkeness and in deepe horrore,
> An huge eternall Chaos, which supplyes
> The substances of natures fruitfull progenyes.
>
> All things from thence doe their first being fetch,
> And borrow matter, whereof they are made,
> Which when as forme and feature it does ketch,
> Becomes a bodie, and doth then inuade
> The state of life, out of the griesly shade. [...]
>
> The characters in question may have had different mothers as we usually
> think of the term, but all--apparently--went through this interesting
> process involving the "wide wombe of the world" and the Gardin before their
> earthly births, "from thence did their /first/ being fetch," and at that
> stage were "fit for reasonable soules t'indew." They have that in common
> as well as their "loues" and "knighthood."
>
> Still, I can't think that Medina would in a state of passion be referring
> to anything half so abstruse. I'd prefer to think of her wracking her brain
> here to find a real commonality between the knights to get them to cease
> fighting. She mentions the womb, but they have different mothers. She goes
> on to mention loves, but they have different lovers. She settles on
> knighthood, which she's sure they have in common; and that solution seems
> to work, because stanza 31 consists almost entirely of images that knights
> would find appealing ("Braue be her warres, &c.") and the final agreement
> they come to (see stanza 32) "in word of knights they did assure."
>
> The only image I can find in Alciato that corresponds to a good woman with
> "naked brest" and "tresses torn" is emblem 48,
> http://www.mun.ca/alciato/images/l048.gif, "On Victory borne of Deceit" (it
> [...]

Freeserve AnyTime - HALF PRICE for the first 3 months - Save £7.50 a month
www.freeserve.com/anytime