From: Sidney-Spenser Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Roger Kuin
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 5:55 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: a biographical detail

I'd be surprised if we had any way of **knowing** -- it's the sort of thing we'd need a real stroke of hairy luck to find out. But likewise, why does it matter? My own feeling is that he may well have read from printed sheets -- easier than MS, even one's own -- plus the kudos of being able to show that it was getting there, half way to immortality. But that's just raw guesswork.
Other question: who was he reading **to**? "at Court" is pretty general, and could range from the circle of people like Robert Langham, the irrepressible Keeper of the Council Chamber, to the grandees and the Great Cat Herself; with all sorts of possibilities in between. The surviving Sidney Circle? the Anglo-Irish crowd? the Literaries? Interesting question -- but answerable??

Roger Kuin

Spenser is reputed to have read at court in 1590 when he came over from Ireland with the first installment of The Faerie Queene.  It's a plausible story.  If it's true, would we have any way of knowing whether he read before or after the manuscript went to the printer?  Before or after the first three books were in print?

David Lee Miller
Department of English                 543 Boonesboro Ave
University of Kentucky               Lexington, KY 40508
Lexington, KY 40506-0027     (859) 252-3680
(859) 257-6965
FAX  323-1072