Hi Adam

I think the key here is that a thesaurus is not a classification scheme.

There are several tools which can act in concert that a records manager
should be aware of - they include discovery tools (e.g. taxonomy, thesaurus,
search strategies), business rules (e.g. retention and disposal schedule),
metadata, record or file plans, security and access control, governance
(i.e. who owns/is responsible for) etc.

As a records manager, I was familiar with some of these. But having worked
with a team of "Information Architects" I have come to understand that all
these elements need to underpin the management and use of information
resources.

It is like deciding to build a house, and creating a blueprint of all the
systems and things which make a house into a place to live.

With legislation like FOI happening, organisations have to manage their
information in a much more holistic way. And not only within the boundaries
of their own organization, but with partners, key stakeholders and
customers, which is a big change for information managers.

It is a new level of sophistication that we are facing.

There are a few books about Information Architecture at Amazon (I made the
long URL's tiny!) that look okay - I have the first one.

Information Architecture: Designing Information Environments for Purpose
(Managing Information for the Knowledge Economy S.)
http://tinyurl.com/2gazm

Building Enterprise Information Architecture
http://tinyurl.com/yredd

AIIM also run an on-line course Fundamentals of Enterprise Content
Management (ECM) Certificate Program
http://www.aiim.org/educationpass.asp

In the words inscribed on the front cover of that most famous book - DON'T
PANIC - in large friendly letters.

Good luck to us all!

Liz

Elizabeth Scott-Wilson