Although it is not directly related to T12, the following paper is good background for anyone dealing with stress fractures. The paper describes the variability of healing rates and the risk for catastrophic failure depending on the anatomical location. It is good desktop reference material.

Harmon KG. Lower extremity stress fractures. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine 2003;13:358-364

Since I don’t know the specific location or extent of the facture in this case, and I don’t have the clinical experience necessary for these judgments, I would suggest you ask what criteria are used for healing other than time. Maybe this is a difficult situation that requires further investigation before activity increases are prescribed.

Murray

Murray E. Maitland PhD PT

University of South Florida

School of Physical Therapy