Hmmm, am I doing something wrong? When I click on Browse this Atlas I get a
generic digital collection page, and no atlas?

Alice

Alice C. Hudson
Chief, Map Division
The Humanities and Social Sciences Library
The New York Public Library
5th Avenue & 42nd Street, Room 117
New York, NY 10018-278

[log in to unmask]; 212-930-0589; fax 212-930-0027

http://nypl.org/research/chss/map/map.html

The true meaning of life is to plant trees,
          under whose shade you do not expect to sit.
                                            - Nelson Henderson

                      "Fleet,
                      Christopher"             To:       [log in to unmask]
                      <[log in to unmask]>         cc:
                      Sent by: A forum         Subject:  New website - Blaeu Atlas of Scotland, 1654
                      for issues
                      related to map &
                      spatial data
                      librarianship
                      <lis-maps@JISCMAI
                      L.AC.UK>

                      01/21/2004 10:14
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      A forum for
                      issues related to
                      map & spatial
                      data
                      librarianship

[With apologies for cross-posting]

On the 350th anniversary of the publication of Scotland's first atlas, Joan
Blaeu's 'Atlas Novus', Volume V (1654), the National Library of Scotland is
pleased to unveil its new website, an electronic facsimile of the Atlas.
Although the Atlas of Scotland was published by Blaeu in Latin, Dutch,
French, German and Spanish language editions, this presents the first
translation into English of its entire textual contents. The texts contain
detailed historical and topographical descriptions of Scotland and its
regions, freshly translated by Ian Cunningham, and complemented by 49
engraved maps.

- the entire content can be browsed and searched by a wide range of methods
- high resolution, zoomable images can be viewed of every opening
- detailed supporting information and biographies assist the interpretation
of the content
- the website complements earlier source mapping for the Atlas by Timothy
Pont and Robert Gordon, already on the website

The Blaeu Atlas of Scotland homepage can be found at:
http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/map/early/blaeu/index.html

The new website has been incorporated into our existing maps websites,
including 3,700 high-resolution, zoomable images of maps of Scotland. Map
website images: www.nls.uk/maps

Christopher Fleet
Map Library
National Library of Scotland