One of our SHO's has just completed an audit into haemolysed blood specimens. When we started using vacutainers several years ago our haemolysis rate on samples increased. I wondered whether other departments had also experienced this? Has anyone else audited this? I'm enclosing an extract from the audit.

On a second point does anyone routinely take samples from the venflon put in by the paramedics...... as they always use at least an 18G and often in a large vein like the cubital fossa it seems a shame not to use that site... for the patient's sake. I discard the first 5 ml of blood. Anyone done a study on this?

Ray McGlone

A randomized, prospective study conducted at the emergency dept in Columbus, Georgia2 where a total of 165 patients were randomized into the IV group (87pts) or the venepuncture group(78pts) also showed a statistical significant difference (p=0.03) where more blood was haemolysed when drawn from the IV catheters ( 13.7%versus 3.8%). The study also showed a a lower in incidence of haemolysis with larger catheter diameters (p=0.047); 24 gauge(100%), 22 gauge(25%), 20 gauge(15%), 18 gauge(10%), 16 and 14 gauges(0%).

Compared to other A&E departments, RLI has slightly lower or comparable rates of haemolysis. For instance, when looking at the 598 questionnaire based study at the John Hopkins Hospital 1 , Baltimore; 32% of their samples had some degree of haemolysis (compared to 4% shown here); the study also showed that blood drawn through IV catheters resulted in significantly more haemolysis than using the needle technique  (p<.001). The survey also demonstrated that the predominant method of drawing blood was by IV catheters (69%) which was similar to our rate here(72%). The study also showed that IV catheter haemolysis was higher when a vacutainer was used versus a syringe ( 22% versus 9%); this was significant at p=0.02

1. Grant M. The effect of blood drawing techniques and equipment on the haemolysis of ed laboratory samples. J Emerg Nurs 2003;29:116-21.

2. Kennedy C et al. A comparison of haemolysis rates using intravenous catheters versus venipuncture tubes for obtaining blood samples. J Emerg Nurs 1996;22: 566-9.

Ray McGlone

A&E Consultant
Clinical Director A&E Medicine
Morecambe Bay Hospitals NHS Trust