----- Original Message -----
From: Andrew Webber
To: Martyn Hodson
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 6:02 PM
Subject: Re: Haemolysed blood specimens

Ray

I spoke to a nurse recently regarding a patient we'd conveyed to a medical
ward for management of dehydration and whom enroute was given 500ml of
saline 0.9% though a 18G venflon.

On handover at the medical ward the nurse explained that she would need to
take bloods from the patient and promptly cannulated the opposing ACF.  Upon
asking if there was any reason for not drawing bloods from the already
patent venflon, she exclaimed that as it had been flushed and fluids had
been infused she couldn't use this site.

I can only assumes that there may be residual infusion within the venflon,
although I would have thought with a little bleeding, that this would have
been expelled and the patient would not need to be stabbed again!

Cheers

Andrew

One issues which usually raises looks on incomprehension from DOctors, is
nurses  sticking to ' the guidelines' for fear of being disciplined -
becasue sadly there are still nurses who blindly adhere to guidelines as if
the law  and will  report people fo not following those guidelines

---