From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Jill Hooper
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 9:42 AM
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] Oyster shell as a building material

Thanks to Rachel for passing my request to Kate.

Thought other list members might be interested in the reply, especially Daniella.

Many thanks
Jill

Dear Jill,
This is a well known practice designed to level up joints in ashlar
masonry in much the same way that slate is used - the choice may reflect
seasonal avalibility of the oyster shells, I suppose. The best
discussion of this is:

Salzman L F 1997 Building in England Down to 1540 (OUP) Chapter V, pp89
where the use of oyster shells is explicitly discussed, together with
some documentary references  from the 13th and 16th centuries.

I hope this helps!

Kate Giles, Dept Archaeology, U of York.