From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of fiona beglane
Sent: 03 September 2004 12:59
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ZOOARCH] Depressions on cattle incisors

Hello Zooarch,
I wonder if anyone could help me with a query on cattle incisors.  These are from a rural early medieval site in Ireland.  I have a number of these which have circular depressions on the labial surface.  These are not hypoplastic pits (I have some of these as well).  The depressions are smooth sided and run to a shallow base, between 3.4 and 6mm in diameter and between 2 and 4.6mm above the cemento-enamel junction.  Most of these teeth are heavily worn.  The four examples come from a number of different contexts from different phases of the site, although some contexts have shown mixing so in theory they could all be contemporary.

The labial surface would seem to be a strange place for toothwear, and I haven't been able to find anything about any developmental defects like this, so if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.  I can forward digital photos if they would be of any help.

Thank you

Fiona Beglane

Do you Yahoo!?