For anyone who wants to know....the aforementioned conference is

10th-14th May 2004 Joint NABO and SILA Arctic Center Conference "Dynamics of
Northern Societies"

NABO (North Atlantic Biocultural Organization) meeting May 10th-14th will be
hosted by the Danish SILA arctic center based at the National Museum in
Copenhagen (whose website www.sila.dk has info and registration forms). It looks
already like this will be a very major meeting, drawing together northern
researchers from Norse, paleo-Eskimo, and Inuit research teams and offering the
possibility of some really productive exchanges. All papers will be published,
and both papers and posters are still being accepted through 1 January 2004.

We are offering a series paper sessions of what we hope will be major cross
cutting topics of wide interest, paper sessions which may be of more regional
interest (N American or NW European), and a series of open workshops for less
formal discussions and idea swapping. Some really outstanding post-conference
excursions are also in the works, so if you can stay after the conference you
will have several options to enjoy.

As ever, feedback and ideas are very welcome. Student papers and posters are
encouraged, and we would particularly like to share ideas on more effective
coordination of our educational efforts (field schools, student support,
exchange programs).

This conference will bring together North Atlantic and Arctic researchers
interested in long term human interactions with environment and early
inter-cultural interactions, drawing on the entire circumpolar zone for a wide
ranging four day meeting involving zooarchaeology, archaeobotany, human
osteology, geoarchaeology, history, ethnography, and archaeology.

Major cross cutting topics include:

Dynamics of Small Scale Societies,
Focal Places,
Living with Things,
Architecture and Social Organization, Demography,
Death & Burial in the North,
Religion Exchange & and the Constitution of Religious Identities
Exchange & trade
Workshops on:

Northern Zooarchaeology, Archaeobotany, and Geoarchaeology: Putting things
together
Human Impacts
Marine Resource use: some cross cultural perspectives
Cooperation in Northern Education
Special Sessions on

Origins and Spread of the paleo-Eskimo and Inuit traditions
Norse Interaction with the Environment
Paper abstracts due by 1 January 2004

Contact : [log in to unmask] and please see www.sila.dk

Thomas H. McGovern, Professor
Coordinator North Atlantic Biocultural Organization (NABO)
Director Hunter Bioarchaeology Laboratory
Anthropology Department, Hunter College CUNY
695 Park Ave, NYC 10021 USA
fax: 212 772 5423
phone: 212 772 5410
email: [log in to unmask]