Dear Teresa & Zooarchers,

I'm sure many of you will make the same suggestion, but there really is no
substitute for keeping your eye on the roads for roadkill! Yes roadkill
often has some undesirable breakage, but as a source of many animals you
won't normally see, i think it's unbeatable. There are of course other ways,
and i would suggest making contact directly with wildlife rangers at nature
reserves, game wardens, things like that. Thirdly, it's always worth asking
any museums if they can have a look in their freezer for you. Many museums
traditionally keep specimens for taxidermy and other purposes, but as with
most of us archaeozoologists - we tend to end up with more corpses than we
really want! The key is to actually go and visit people and ask them if they
can help you there and then, rather than writing to busy people and waiting
for an answer.

Good luck in building your collection!

cheers
Chris

Dr Chris Gleed-Owen
Research & Monitoring Officer

The Herpetological Conservation Trust
655A Christchurch Road
Boscombe
Bournemouth
Dorset  BH1 4AP

tel: 01202 391319   fax: 01202 392785   mob: 07810 770560