From: Managing an institutional web site [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike McConnell
Sent: 04 November 2004 13:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: SEO Campaigns (Search Engine Optimisation)- request for information.

I agree with Helen's comments, particularly re metadata. We've found that repeating the same words, in the same order, in the meta description, meta keyword, title and <h1> fields has improved our ranking, as has using the Google free University search as our main site search engine.

Whatever you do, don't pay some SEO company to do it for you!

Cheers,

Mike

- try to mess with your page organsiation as little as possible. The
longer your urls stay the same, the more links build up and the
higher your recognition goes. Fortunately for other reasons we have
always bent over backwards to keep our urls the same, and it seems to
have made a big difference.

- make titles and headings as succinct as possible. In some parts of
a page, the more words, the more dilution. Think of web pages as
having high square-inch rental charge and use your words in the best
way you can.

- add metadata keyords and description anyway, even if seach engines
say they don't use them. I don't believe anything they say about
their algorithms as they want to head off the SEO companies.

Helen Varley Sargan
Information Provision & Webmaster
University Computing Service
New Museums Site             email [log in to unmask]
Pembroke St                        [log in to unmask]
Cambridge CB2 3QH            Phone 01223 334480

------------
Mike McConnell
Web Team Manager
University of Aberdeen

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/web/

Directorate of Information Systems and Services
Edward Wright Building
Dunbar Street
Aberdeen
AB24 3UF