Bill,

We do what you are proposing, we have sections of the homepage that are only
visible from within the institution.  We can put on our homepage news items
that only appear internally, events likewise and also linked images to help
people find internal content.

We are in the process of starting a student and staff portal project and
this will to some extent remove the necessity for such doing this on the
homepage, although we still think we will need some degree of internal
notices on our homepage.

Cheers,
Gareth

--