I would say that in the F.E. and School sectors preaching the benefits to the learner is going to be an uphill struggle.  Although they all want that, they have too many other pressures to worry about.  My approach would be to work on the self interest side.  Less time spent marking and entering marks into student records,  standing over the photocopier will be a thing of the past less materials to prepare (cos you will be able to use the NLN.  While you are doing this you also work on their fears.  Yes I know that no one is supposed to be frightened of the computer putting them out of work but it comes up in every school I go to.  Point out that they have no need to be so computer literate that they can do everything.

Of course the final possibility is "use it or you will be looking for another job next year".  It has been done and it did work.  people who had never used anything more than Word were delivering their whole course through Blackboard in less than a year.  This is a somewhat drastic measure but in the case of that particular college it had serious problems which required serious solutions.

-----Original Message-----
From: Virtual Learning Environments [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf
Of Gary Musham
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 10:13 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [VLES] Engaging staff!

Malcolm,
I agree, you do need to focus on problems and other negativities otherwise things can not be improved on in the future. There may be various reasons why staff are reluctant to become involved with ILT, for example, network reliability, teaching staff moving away from their comfort zones using traditional teaching techniques.
Introducing ILT needs to include a focus on culture change, staff training and development, and new ways of working such as course delivery and construction. I believe it requires an individual who has an understanding of management practices and techniques as well as an understanding of ILT delivery.

Gary