The challenge is to create an experience that would capitalise on the
ability to support teachers to reflect and converse about how they might
change what goes on in their classrooms. One idea is that some staff
development activities can be 'situated' in contexts of practice so that new
staff can see innovative teaching strategies produced during routine
sessions. Participating employees could observe and interact with teachers
and learners, who are engaged in utilisation of a VLE within the class.

Teachers having the same experience are more likely to support each other,
unlike structured workshop activities. If a participating staff member is
put in charge of what they want to learn and the skills they want to
develop, a more productive outcome is reached. Whenever possible, it is
crucial to engage participants in the process of change in ways that are
meaningful to them.

Jason Turton
Head of Provision 14 - 19
Visual & Performing Arts
Preston College

> At 13:01 30/06/2004 +0100, Mandy Elkerton said:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> We are slowly phasing in Learnwise at Birkenhead Sixth Form College,
>> and are
>> trying to 'sell it' to our teaching staff. I was wondering whether
>> anyone
>> had any examples of how they had successfully engaged some (more
>> reluctant)
>> staff to embrace using the VLE, or examples of what hasn't really
>> worked?
>>
>> Any suggestions or examples very gratefully received!
>
> The publication resulting from the VLE online conference earlier in the
> year should be available imminently (i.e. a week or two, I'm promised).
> Much of that deals with staff development. We'll notify the list when
> it
> can be downloaded.
>
> Geoff Minshull
> Direct Learn Training
> Main web site:   http://www.directlearn.co.uk/
> Online conference site: http://www.online-conference.net
> Tel:   01629 540386
> Mob: 0771 264 7600

> vle

"The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is
confidential, may be subject to legal professional privilege, and is
intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). If you
are not the intended recipient, or person responsible for delivering the
message, please notify the sender immediately and do not read, copy,
distribute, use or retain the message or any part of it, as you are not
authorised to do so. This message is not intended to have contractual effect
and the views expressed by the sender are not necessarily the views of
Preston College Corporation."