I am pleased to announce that details are now available and bookings being
taken for the 28th UK Transport Conference and Exhibition. This takes place
at the University of Nottingham on 25-26 March 2004.

Full details can be found on the TPS website -
http://www.tps.org.uk/events/2004/250304.htm or by visiting
www.nottingham-conference.org.uk.

The title of the conference is 'Planning for an urban future: charging or
what?'

The final programme is given below.

Regards,

Glenn

THURSDAY 25 MARCH 2004

09.30 Registration Coffee and Exhibition

Session 1 Planning for an Urban Future

10.30 Introduction
Professor Glenn Lyons, Director, Centre for Transport & Society, University
of the West of England, Chair, Organising Committee

10.45 Keynote address: Lessons from planning's past - a London road users
perspective
Derek Turner CBE, Principal, Derek Turner Consulting, London

Session 2 Urban Future - the Actors

11.15 Its easy for you - you're the planner; I'm the politician!
Councillor Helen Holland, Executive Member, External Affairs &
Partnerships, Bristol City Council

11.45 Testing options outside the system
Tony Hargreaves, Project Manager, Cambridge Futures

12.15 Discussion

13.00 Lunch and Exhibition

Session 3 Carrots and Sticks

14.15 LRT - an urban solution for Nottingham
Pat Armstrong, General Manager, NET, Nottingham City Council

14.45 From Birmingham Northern Relief Road to M6 Toll: what can we learn?
Alan Wenban-Smith, Independent consultant in Urban & Regional Policy,
Chairman of Labour Finance & Industry Transport Study Group

15.15 London's congestion charging revisited
Michele Dix, Director of Congestion Charging, Transport for London

15.45 Discussion

16.25 Tea and Exhibition

17.10  18.15 The Roy Cresswell Lecture

Planning in the Netherlands - pointers for the UK
Paul van de Lande, Senior Consultant, Department of Economic Development,
Transport and Infrastructure, Buck Consultants International, The Hague,
Netherlands

19.15 Reception

19.45 Conference Dinner Cripps Hall
Guest Speaker: Tony Depledge, Development Director, Arriva Passenger
Services, Leicester
Putting people first

FRIDAY 26 March 2004

Session 4 From Planning to Practice

09.00 Making sense of regional planning and urban consequences
Chris Martin, Director of Planning and Transport, Yorkshire and Humber Assembly

09.30 Planning into practice - the past, present and future for Cambridge
John Onslow, Assistant Director (Planning), Cambridgeshire County Council

10.00 Discussion

10.30 Coffee and Exhibition

11.15 Making public transport's future happen
Tom Magrath, Head of Projects, CENTRO, Birmingham

11.45 everyone's railway
Dr Steve Atkins, Assistant Director: Transport Planning, Policy & Research,
Strategic Rail Authority, London

12.15 Discussion

12.50 Lunch and Exhibition

Session 5 How to Shape the Future

14.00 Should transport planning be serving, supporting or shaping society?
Colin Eastman, Transport Advisor, Coventry City Council

14.30 Visioning and backcasting - what we want and how to get there
Professor David Bannister, Bartlett School of Planning, University College
London

15.00 Discussion

15.30 Conference Closure
Putting the clock back is not a sustainable transport policy
Malcolm Buchanan, Managing Director, Colin Buchanan and Partners, London

16.15 Tea and Departure

___________________________________

** please note new tel and fax numbers **

Professor Glenn Lyons
Unit for Transport and Society
Faculty of the Built Environment
University of the West of England