Hi Martina,

        I agree with Patricia Mather and the others that Tunicata is the
correct term for the fascinating group of marine invertebrates that we
all know and love.  I even looked up Lamarck's 1816 treatise, which is
a good read for those interested that can read French.  I do not know
why "urochordate" gained such widespread usage, but it is used mostly
in England and the U.S.   Gretchen Lambert has suggested that the term
"urochordata" never really caught on in Europe or Japan.

A recent pubmed search with tunicata and urochordata got
urochordata: 1763 references
tunicata: 1777 references

        The term "protochordate" is more problematic, I think.  I was asked
twice this year to write reviews on "protochordates", so I have had
some time to think about it.  In reviewing gastrulation, I reviewed
ascidian and lancelet gastrulation (Swalla, 2004).  However, for the
Canadian Journal of Zoology Protochordate issue, I was asked to include
hemichordates in my review of Protochordate phylogeny.  Since
hemichordates are clearly sister group to echinoderms (not chordates),
I found this problematic, but went ahead and reviewed all of the
deuterostomes.  I also went back and read Barrington's delightful book
"The Biology of Hemichordata and Protochordata".  Barrington considered
tunicates and lancelets "Protochordates" and Hemichordates to be a
separate phylum.  However, he suggests that graptolites (fossil
pterobranch hemichordates) and pogonophora (deep sea polychaetes) may
also be protochordates.  Does anyone know an earlier reference to
"protochordates?"  I don't like the term because it suggests that
present day tunicates and lancelets are similar to their long ago
ancestors, even though we know that they are highly specialized and
evolved extant marine animals.  It seems to be back in usage again,
though.

        My favorite quote from Barrington's book is "It will be apparent that
the protochordates are more successful than most animals in concealing
their pedigree and their interrelationships”.  I can certainly agree
with him there!

        Happy holidays!
        Billie J. Swalla

Barrington, E.J.W. 1965. The Biology of Hemichordata and Protochordata.
(Oliver & Boyd), Edinburgh & London, U.K.
Lamarck, J.B. 1816. Histoire Naturelle des Animaux sans Vertebrates.
Tome III. Tuniciers. Déterville, Paris pp 80-130
Swalla, B. J. 2004. “Protochordate Gastrulation: Lancelets and
Ascidians.” In: Gastrulation; Claudio Stern, ed. Cold Spring Harbor
Press. pp 139-149.

On Dec 17, 2004, at 4:18 PM, martina grey wrote:

> Dear Tunicatists
>
> The word 'urochordate' has the advantage that it reinforces the notion
> that we are dealing with a type of chordate, not with just another
> boring minor inverebrate group. The same applies to 'protochordate',
> which is increasingly popular. People think that their grant
> applications gain relevance if they are about chordates. Are they
> right? Am I being cynical?
> Does 'protchordate' have any taxonomic validity?
>
> Martina

>>> Urochordata. Patricia's message was clear and authoritative. The
>>> message
>>> identifies the history and development of the taxonomic nomenclature
>>> and
>>> why,in accordance with the Rules, Tunicata Lamarck 1816 must take
>>> precedence
>>> over Urochordata Balfour 1881. A few of us may have felt scolded or
>>> even
>>> humbled by Patricia's message and at least one University found it
>>> necessary
>>> to rewrite their lab manuals for students. Some textbooks still
>>> require
>>> revision.
>>> In the light of this it comes as a surprise to learn that yet another
>>> Urochordate conference is planned to take place in Santa Barbara
>>> next July.
>>> Happily the message about the Conference was addressed to
>>> Tunicatists and not
>>> to Urochordatists and maybe the organisers could be persuaded to
>>> rename the
>>> Conference as a Tunicate Conference. The continued use of the
>>> name Urochordata
>>> instead of Tunicata sends the wrong message to students and
>>> younger colleagues
>>> who should be encouraged to respect The International Rules of
>>> Zoological
>>> Nomenclature.
>>> Irrespective of the title of the Conference I cannot be in Santa
>>> Barbara in
>>> July but for those who attend to discuss Tunicate biology I wish you
>>> fruitful
>>> exchanges.
>>>
>>> IVAN GOODBODY
>>> Professor Emeritus of Zoology
>>> University of the West Indies

Happy holidays to you and your loved ones!

Dr. Billie J. Swalla
Associate Professor
Box 351800
24 Kincaid Hall
Biology Department
University of Washington
Seattle, WA       98195-1800

Phone: 206-616-9367
Fax:     206-616-2011
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
http://faculty.washington.edu/bjswalla/

Check out our 2002 summer course at FHL
"Comparative Embryology of Invertebrates"
http://courses.washington.edu/emb2002/

Check out our 2001 summer course at FHL
"Evolution and Development of the Metazoans"
http://www.whoi.edu/science/B/people/khalanych/evodevo2001/index.html