Has anyone on this list been to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee? I drove through it
last month. I drove through it and drove through it and drove through it.
And I drove and drove and drove and drove. Pigeon Forge is a one-street
town starting about eight miles north of Gatlinburg and spread out along
US-441 all the way to Sevierville (about seven miles). The "street" is six
lanes, and I traveled at an average speed of four miles an hour for what
seemed like several hours. Pigeon Forge is a totally artificial tourist
Mecca billed as "Your Action Packed All-American Getaway," though I'm not
sure what anyone is getting away from -- certainly not traffic jams. You
can see it on their videos at <http://www.mypigeonforge.com/videos.asp#>.
Pigeon Forge features 68 cabins, chalets, and condominiums, 87 hotels and
motels, 12 campgrounds, more than 40 amusements parks, and 16
city-sponsored special events annually. I suppose we've all heard of "The
Gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains," Gatlinburg (and Tammy Faye Baker),
but Pigeon Forge puts Gatlinburg to shame. The point here being the seeming
peculiarity of people remaining in a human-made environment right next door
to a magnificent example of nature. I didn't do any research on this issue
-- and I'll readily defer to anyone who has -- but I got the distinct
impression that the people who stay in Pigeon Forge either never go into
the mountains and just drive through them (as I stayed in the mountains and
just drove through Pigeon Forge). USAers (as do many peoples) have always
displayed a tension between culture and nature; on the one hand wishing to
use their culture (technology) to obliterate, subdue, and exploit nature,
and on the other hand wanting to preserve, enjoy, and worship nature. (A
classic on this theme is Leo Marx's 1964 The Machine in the
Garden:  Technology and the Pastoral Ideal in America.) Who has done some
transcultural research on such issues? Any comments? Robert.