Hi,

Well, I have a hint which can help. There is a new bound for the number of the
Mistakes the Perceptron algorithm makes. In terms of SVM the bound is
proportional to (for all w)
(1/2)||w||^2 R^2 + \sum_i \max\{0, 1-y_i(w*x_i)\}
where it is assumed that all the examples are in a ball of radius R around the
origin.

If you take the factor R^2 out of the bound you get the SVM optimization
problem, where C=1/R^2 ; a max operator is used rather than the mean operator
you asked about. I am not sure if the bound still holds if we replace the
max with a mean. In practice, the mean is more stable than the max. (Although I would try to use
also the median).

Regards, Koby

Koby Crammer            [log in to unmask]

http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~kobics