dear listmembers,
in a task I have 2 types of stimuli A and B both of which vary in
intensity. I am interested in the neural response to A and B independent
of intensity.  One way I can do this is to include intensity as a
parametric modulator for A and B.  However, there are 2 reasons why I
might not want to do this: 1) it doubles the number of regressors per
session and eats up degrees of freedom and 2) the euclidian normalization
performed on the modulator (spm_en) scales the parameters independently
for each regressor, so that variance in intensity is not preserved across
conditions/sessions.  Is there a way to include intensity as
a single regressor across all conditions and/or sessions?  there is of
course the option for 'user-specified regressors' but this option requires
a vector equal in length to the number of scans (not the number of
trials). Should I resample my intensity such that values correspond to the
number of scans?

thanks -
chris

Christopher Summerfield