Michael Wolmetz wrote:
> After scouring the listserv, I'm still left wondering whether it's
> possible to do a hierarchical regression with
> non-time-series-dependent continuous variables within spm2.

Will Penny replied:
> The most common examlpe of this is what neuroimaging people call
> 'random effects analysis'.

Since I had a similar question I've been sitting on, I thought I'd
jump in here.  I think Michael's asking about hierarchical regression,
which is not the same thing as the tiered analysis used to do random
effects analyses of subjects with repeated measures in fMRI.  If I can
venture a summary based on my limited knowledge of the subject, with
hierarchical regression you specify the order in which parameters for
each covariate are estimated.  So in the case you have covariates that
are not perfectly orthogonal, you get to pick which one gets first
crack at explaining variance in your data.  The idea being that when
you're done, you can say that your second covariate is getting credit
only for variance that couldn't have been explained by the previously
entered covariates.  This might be done at the single subject level
for typical designs.  I have the feeling SPM used to do this
automatically for covariates of no interest, I don't know if that's
the case currently.

I thought two reasonable-sounding approaches would be to (a) do the
regression iteratively, using the residuals as the data for each step
after the first; and (b) pre-orthogonalize the covariates
appropriately in advance, so that "later" covariates have variance
explained by "earlier" covariates removed.  I haven't thought it
through, though, and I know "reasonable-sounding" isn't a good
standard for statistical techniques.  So any thoughts on this would be
greatly appreciated (including the thought that I'm completely
confused).

dan