Stuart, I don't think there's anything wrong with what you're saying,
except that your scientific logic (as a naturalist and observer of
ravens) relies on implicit assumptions about the likelihood of
observing so many ravens without seeing a white one if white ravens do
in fact exist.  If you're willing to estimate, given your experience
as a naturalist, scientist, etc., the likelihood of failing to see a
single white raven in your sample, then of course it's completely
reasonable to say that seeing all those black ravens is informative,
and that each additional black raven you see is additionally a tiny
bit informative.  Whether or not there's a reasonable way of
formalizing this intuition probably varies, and depends on things like
whether or not your 1000 animals were sampled appropriately randomly.
But clearly if your intuition were different -- i.e., that observing
1000 consecutive black ravens in a universe heavily populated with
white ravens is quite likely -- it would never occur to you to draw
the same inference.  Of course, I don't know how well in general
logicians are impressed with inferential statistics.  Even if you
collect data that would be only 0.00000001% likely to occur if white
ravens exist, they would still be correct in saying that you haven't
proven anything, even if you've checked all but one raven.  Science
isn't much about proof in that sense, and I think both scientists and
philosophers can be comfortable with that.

My guess is that the reason these white/black raven problems are
counterintuitive is that for better or worse, people do form
intuitions about the likelihood of seeing 1000 black ravens without a
single white, even when you give them a completely artificial scenario
and don't tell them anything about how the data were collected.  It's
not shocking that scientists would have weird intuitions about
scenarios involving single exemplars in an infinite universe.  In
reality if you run a raven experiment, you design it such that you're
very likely to observe a white one if white ones do exist.  But
logicians never set it up that way.

Anyway, if you really wanted to generate an annoying debate, the trick
is to post right *after* a conference.

dan