From: Nick Dalton [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 25 November 2004 13:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: New paper in econophysics

If you read the abstract

'in particular the authors show that most of the considered networks
have a broad degree distribution typical of scale-free networks and
exhibit small-world properties as well.'

Your first reaction to this kind of result might be so-what. But this
would be premature.

Assume the hypothesis that syntactical graphs* are small-world systems
is true. We do know how to 'grow' small world systems to maintain the
small-world ness properties.

Would this imply we could then develop a method to take a current
graph/network make it 'grow'. Now we might not be able to grow the axial
line system but we could grow the network buried in the axial line
network.

This would mean that we could carry out configurational growth studies.
That is we could take a small settlement and grow it** using small-world
methods. While we could not see the expanding development we could see
the configurational effects it would have on the original urban grid.
It would be fun to project cities forward in time to see if small-world
type growth would inform us about how cities evolve.

just a thought

sheep

* ie realize this is not exactly they are saying.
** the graph of the city