Hi Simon,

Thanks for your interest in our work. I'm not an expert in
security, though, so maybe some of my colleagues would like
to contribute.

Nevertheless, maybe there is a connection to be made, which,
I believe, is both non-trivial and fundamental for our
field.

On one hand, axial maps are "skeletons" of city maps. This
means that they reduce information on a map to a minimal
core ("skeleton") that is easier to process than the
original.
One the other hand, there's been some work on "axial shape
graphs", mainly from the computer vision community, but also
(specially after 11/09) from the field of homeland security.
To my knowledge, we still lack a coherent theory to unite
both approaches -this is what we are aiming at, starting
with CASA papers 69 & 73.

To find work from the latter community, search for "axial
shape graph" both in CiteSeer
(http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cs) -the first 2 documents will
put you in the right direction- and in Los Alamos
(http://www.lanl.gov/).

The first document that you retrieve from the search in Los
Alamos is authored by  Lakshman Prasad, who is using the
techniques of axial shape graphs for security issues. Have a
look at his picture at NIS-7:
http://www.lanl.gov/orgs/nis/groups/nis7/

In other words, the theory that we are using to make axial
maps rigorous is very closely related to work that is being
developed to extract axial representations from images. And
the latter is already being used for active surveillance.

Hope this helps,
Rui