Intreasting

What they are saying is that you can build a build a virtual axial
line from a number of segments by examining the axial of
intersection. This is a version of the more general 'virtual axial
line' concepts which have been known in this field for some time.

Check out 'To tame a TIGER one has to know its nature: extending
weighted angular integration analysis to the description of GIS
road-centerline data for large scale urban analysis (Nick Sheep
Dalton - Georgia Regional Transportation Authority, USA; Dr. John
Peponis and Dr. Ruth Conroy Dalton - Georgia Institute of Technology,
USA)
http://www.spacesyntax.net/symposia/SSS4/abstracts.htm

Except the tiger angular concept is more general and more useful.

I think Prof Hillier is writing a much more general paper than this
which I belive is an absolute classic.

sheep