Hi to you all,

I'm a doctoral student at the School of Social work, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem. My research deals with masculine identities in the ultra orthodox community in Israel. Basically I did field work in four sites: Lituanian yeshivas (religious seminaries), where attempts are made to construct the hegemonic masculine model for this society and three other sites in which ultra orthodox men have appeared only recently: a basic training course for ultra orthodox cadets; an occupational training program and the ultra orthodox headquarter within the right wing Likud party. These three new sites allow for the formation of alternative masculine models to appear.

Yohai Hakak
The Paul Berwald School of Social Work
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem

SOCREL-PG is the Postgraduate e-mail list of the BSA Sociology of Religion Study Group.

To join SOCREL-PG, send the following one-line message: join socrel-pg YOURFIRSTNAME YOURLASTNAME to: <[log in to unmask]>

Send contributions to the list by sending messages to: [log in to unmask]

To leave SOCREL-PG, send the following one-line message: leave socrel-pg YOURFIRSTNAME YOURLASTNAME to: <[log in to unmask]>