From: שמעון נסיכי
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, December 27, 2004 7:03 PM
Subject: Acoustic Anomaly (?) of Asphalt Mixtures

Dear Friends,
I would like to have your comments on the following issue:

Acoustic Anomaly (?) of Asphalt Mixtures
We have recently constructed test sections of several types of asphalt
mixtures as follows:
Dense Asphalt Mix (reference) – 5.5 % air voids
Porous Asphalt Mix  - 20 % air voids (GEOMETRIC MEASUREMENT)
SMA – 8% air voids
 Acoustic measurements were conducted following construction and before the
road have been opened to traffic, in accordance with ISO 11819-1. These
measurements have revealed the following results):

                                    MEAN DIFFERENCES- ACOUSTIC MEASUREMENTS
              (note – ΔLis the reduction in noise compared with the
reference mix - the dense graded asphalt)
VEHICLE
TYPESPEED
Km/rΔLMAXΔLEQ

SMA 0/8POROUS
ASPHALTSMA 0/8POROUS
ASPHALT
PRIVATE
CAR50
3.83.95.63.7
80
4.33.35.85.1
100
4.54.78.26.6
TRUCK50
3.02.76.76.3
80
--4.14.1

 These measurements demonstrate the superiority of the SMA vs. the POROUS
MIX in terms of acoustic performance – an anomaly contradictory to common
engineering belief.
In this respect I have the following questions:
Have you ever encountered similar phenomena?
Could the acoustic performance be reversed (i.e. the [Porous Asphalt will
outperform the SMA ) after the road will be opened to traffic?
Thanks for your answer

Shimon Nesichi, M.Sc.,
Managing Director,
Materials and Research Division,