        August 12th, 2004

        Direct Tel      +44 (0) 1344 770136
        Fax             +44 (0) 1344 770643
        E-mail          [log in to unmask]

        Dear Members,

        RESEARCH STUDY: INNOVATIVE SAFETY EQUIPMENT AT ROAD WORKS

        I understand that as a forum for dialogue on road transport
issues you may have dealings with innovative traffic management safety
equipment that is in use in various countries.

        The UK Highways Agency has commissioned TRL to conduct a scoping
study to obtain details of innovative equipment, that is used
internationally but  may not used in the UK, which is intended to
improve the safety of temporary traffic management at road works.

        We are interested in all types of innovative equipment, but
relevant devices might be those intended to, for example:
                -       reduce traffic speed near the road works,
                -       protect the workers from passing traffic, or
                -       warn drivers of queuing traffic ahead at a works
site.

        The output from the project will include a table listing the
equipment/devices and their advantages and disadvantages. It would
therefore be very helpful if you could let me know your experience with
the equipment and whether it is good or bad.

        I would be very grateful if you would circulate to your members
this request for information about any equipment that you think might be
relevant.

        We have a tight timetable for this project and I would be
grateful for a response by Friday 27th August.

If you have any queries, please contact either myself or Graham Coe (+
44 1344 770712).

Thank you very much in advance for your cooperation.

Yours faithfully,

Simon Thompson
Transportation Division

Simon Thompson
Human Factors Researcher
TRL
Crowthorne House
Nine Mile Ride
Wokingham, Berkshire
RG40 3GA
www.trl.co.uk
Direct Tel - 01344 770136

This communication contains information sent from the TRL Limited
email system which is confidential, and may also be privileged.
It is for the exclusive use of the addressee.  If you are not the
addressee, please note that any distribution, copying or use of
this communication, or the information therein, is prohibited.
the sender by return email.

TRL Limited reserves the right to monitor emails in accordance
with the Telecommunications Lawful Business Practice -
Interception of Communications Regulations 2000.

TRL has moved.  Our new address is:

TRL Limited
Crowthorne House
Nine Mile Ride