1.    Do you suffer from similar problems?

Yes, California has a similar environment and problems.

2.    Do you have any statistics on the occurrence of such accidents, say
compared with "normal" winter (i.e. pavement surface "clean" but wet)
conditions?

We don't have such data but we will like to obtain such data too.  The
situation is more complicated in CA.  After the rainfall, fogs will set in.
The visibility decreases.  The accidents increase.  To separate the effect
of fog versus the skid is very difficult to quantify.  Skid test is only
looking at the effect of water.  But the result of oil and debris on the
pavement is difficult to quantify.

3.    Do you have any maintenance strategy to tackle this problem (i.e.
water cleaning of critical areas – junctions,etc.)

One of the crucial area is to clean all the drainage system inlets and
outlets and clean the roadways as much as possible  At the same time, the
weather reporters in the TV stations will warn the public to drive safely
in the first rainfall of the season.  Informing the public and educating
the public are the essential elements to this pursues.

James N. Lee, PhD, PE, MASCE
Division of Research and Innovation
5900 Folsom Blvd
Sacramento
CA 95819

                                          שמעון נסיכי
                                 <[log in to unmask]>        To:       [log in to unmask]
                                 Sent by: "Technical,        cc:
                             operational and economic        Subject:  FIRST RAIN " SKIDDING ACCIDENTS"
                              aspects of road freight
                                      transportation"
                      <ROAD-TRANSPORT-TECHNOLOGY@JISC
                                          MAIL.AC.UK>

                                    08/04/04 09:02 AM
                        Please respond to שמעון נסיכי

Dear Friends
I have raised this topic several years ago and I am interested in any
updated data.
In our climate we suffer from about 8 consecutive dry (almost no rain)
months. During this dry period the pavement surface gets contaminated and
as a result during the first rain following the dry months there seem to be
excessive number of skidding accidents. In that respect I would like to
have your comments on the following questions:
         1. Do you suffer from similar problems?
         2. Do you have any statistics on the occurrence of such accidents,
            say compared with "normal" winter (i.e. pavement surface
            "clean" but wet) conditions?
         3. Do you have any maintenance strategy to tackle this problem
            (i.e. water cleaning of critical areas – junctions,etc.)
Thanks for your help

Shimon Nesichi, M.Sc.,
Managing Director,
Materials and Research Division,